Friday, April 18, 2014

Im not as good at this as Kels, so I'll just let you have a little from my story THE SHOW

I didn't know how well this whole, "Everyone-shall-tell-about-thineselves-each-day" thing that Boss was insisting on would work. The person whose turn it was to speak today, in particular, seemed a bit outlandish. In my week of working there, I'd never heard so much as a word from him. His name was Jude, and he was tall and bald and covered in tattoos. He was on stage crew, and always was drawing in a sketchbook he kept in the crook of his arm. I'd already heard that Madison girl telling her friends that she thought he was scary.
"Okay. So today is Jude's turn to tell about himself."Boss said. Jude didn't look up from his stare at the floor. "Now, I happen to know that not many of you know anything about Jude, so you all better pay good attention." With that, he motioned to Jude and moved a chair out for him.
Jude stood silently and moved to the chair in front of all of us. He returned his gaze to the floor. "Hey. M'name's Jude. Jude Meyers." He rolled up his sleeves, one at a time, revealing his tattooed arms. "I was born in Washington. The state, not the D.C." He cleared his throat. He was obviously very uncomfortable. "I grew up without a dad, cuz he was a drug addict. He technically lived with me, but I hardly ever saw him. When I was in about the seventh grade, he O.D.'d." He paused a second. "Uh, let's see. when I was in high school, I had really long hair. I could sit on it." He pulled a picture from his wallet and held it up. Sure enough, his hair probably three feet long. He looked a bit like Jason. He also didn't have any tattoos. The whole room was filled with assorted laughter and woahs.
"You must've taken good care of it." I said, smiling at him. "Keeping hair that long would be hard work."
"I liked it a lot." He nodded, not looking up at me. "But it was a lot of work."
"What happened to it, then? Did you just get tired of it?" Madison asked in her stuck up way she did.
"'m gettin' to that." He said irritably, his gaze meeting hers for a moment before returning to the floor.
"I was really big into the arts even then. I drew a lot too, and I wasn't bad. And I got a degree in it." A slight smile curled at his lips. But then, it faded. "'N one day, I was working a show, up doing the lights, and I got really dizzy and couldn't catch my breath. I couldn't move, 'n I was shaking and I blacked out and fell." The whole room fell silent. He clasped his hands together. "They took me to the hospital. I was out for a couple hours. 'N nobody knew what was going on, cuz nothing like that had ever happened to me before." His eyebrows creased. "The tests came back as cancer. On my brain. They told me I had maybe four months."
My mouth dropped open. With a quick scan around the room, I could tell that almost everyone else was flabbergasted too.
"I was really sick for a long time." He continued. "I wasn't allowed at work anymore; they told me it wasn't safe, I guess because I fell before. I lost a lot of weight and..." He paused again. "I lost all of my hair. 'N I could hardly leave the house." I felt terrible for him. "So one day when I was feeling really bad, I almost jumped out the window of my appartment." He mustered bitter smile. "The police came and everything. Talked slow and soft to me, like in the movies." He shifted unfomfortably in his chair.
"'N then I lived with my sister in her appartment a while. She lived across the street from a place called Meryls." He ran a hand across his head. "Meryl's had these terrible flashing lights on it, and they kept me up all night. So, one day, I decided to go figure out what Meryl's was. 'Found out Meryl was the lady who owned the place. Meryl Sage. She did tattoos. We got to talking a while, and I told her that I had cancer and that I was dying and she told me she'd give me a free tattoo." He pulled up his sleeve and pointed to a tattoo of a window, overlooking a city.
"After that, I started going over to Meryl's all the time. I got to watch her give tattoos and stuff. And I got back into drawing. Drew up some tattoos myself." He smiled a little again. "Me and Meryl became really good friends. She'd come and sit with me through Chemotherapy and stuff. I told her about everything. About dad, about theatre, about drawing, about the Window, everything. And when I made it the four months, she gave me another tattoo." He pointer to one of the several bracelet-like tattoos on his wrists." "And another at Six. And another at Ten. And another when they told me the cancer was regressing. And when the cancer was gone. And when I asked Meryl to marry me." His cheeks flushed warmly.
I smiled.
"And we got married in June of two years ago. She was so pretty in her dress." He closed his eyes happily. "She got a job offer up here in Chicago, so we moved. And then we found about this place. I didn't think I could do it, after everything. I didn't think I was good enough anymore." He opened his eyes and looked up at us all. "But, she made me try. MADE me. And so, here I am." Then he looked about awkwardly and stood up. Everyone clapped, not because they had to, but because wow. Who knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment