Monday, April 21, 2014

Fortune's Fool

If anyone can guess the reasoning behind the title, they get bonus points. 

No telling, Em-chan, I already told you. 


“Why, pray tell, are you wearing that monstrosity?” The King asked, holding out his arm for his wife to take.
“I think it’s pretty. Besides, it suits me, don’t you think?” The Queen replied, spinning a little before taking his arm.  In truth, the King thought the dress was lovely, a beautiful purple gown with gold stripes. It suited his wife extremely well, but he was in a sour mood. The king had planned a sweet and simple anniversary of their wedding, but his officials had commandeered it and made it into a masquerade.
“We don’t match.” He noted with a slightly strained edge to his voice. He was dressed in a more subtle grey and black suit.  It was a bit uncomfortable, but not the worst he’d worn, although the fleece cape made it a bit too hot in the stuffy ballroom.
“We do actually!” The Queen countered. She adjusted her gold mask and he noticed the grey and black Jester’s cap she wore that matched his suit. The Queen pulled away from him and teasingly pulled on his mask as well, or more accurately, the golden ram horns attached to his grey mask.  It was the same color of his crown, which admittedly matched his wife’s dress.
“Well it looks weird. I look dull in comparison to you.” He was just making excuses to argue at this point, and she gladly took him up on it.
“I don’t think so. I like the moon more than the sun.” That caught his attention.
“What do you mean? I thought we were talking about our clothes.”
“I am. My dress is based off of the sun, golden but flashy, colorful and eye-catching. Your suit is based off of the moon, calm and reliable, relaxing and stoic. Although the sun may have more attention, the moon is much more loved I believe.” She smiled. “Besides, it suits us! You are the strong king, and I am the frivolous jester queen!” That got a smile out of him.
“You know what, sometimes I forget you used to be my jester, yet sometimes I forget you are my queen. You are an odd one, Ildiko.”
“I’ll take that as a complement Felix.” The Jester-Queen bowed with a grin on her face and her eyes twinkling. The light reached even the Sour King’s eyes and he smiled ever so slightly. Perhaps the ball wouldn’t be so horrible; after all, he had a fool to make his evening grand.


The promised sequel to "The King and the Jester" along with "A Memento on Masks". I might post more about these too as I go, so keep an eye out! --Kelsie

No comments:

Post a Comment