Friday, August 17, 2012

A light in the dark ch. 2 by Kels






Chapter two

            Slowly, the boy cracked open his eyes, only to come face to face with a sheet of paper. He froze. It said:

Dear Angel guy,

Don’t move a muscle. You crashed into my backyard and hurt your wing. I patched it up, but I don’t want to come back and see you’ve messed it up again. I went to go make some soup, I’ll be back soon. Stay put.

-Allyson

        He blinked, once, twice, before slowly craning his head to look around him. He was in an old barn, dry hay was stacked up around him, and a few abandoned wasps nests and piles of dust were scattered nearby.  He tried to turn around, but held back at a twinge of pain in his wing.

            “Hey.” A voice came from behind him, and he flinched and attempted to turn around. But he knocked his wing against a barrel, making him groan loudly in pain. The voice sighed. “I thought I told you not to move. Can’t you read?” A hand on his back made him freeze again, but instead of hurting him, it slowly helped him up. The hands led him to a stool and table, where a bowl of soup sat steaming slightly.

            As soon as he sat down, he turned to face his rescuer. She was a pretty girl, with mocha colored skin and dark brown hair. She was smiling kindly at him and her hazel eyes were full of warmth. She was casually dressed, in a blue shirt with sleeves that reached her elbows, and comfy looking blue jeans. She grinned at him and pointed to the soup.

“Eat up, I know you’re hungry!” She sat down across from him and leaned her chin on her hands. She watched him curiously, before cocking her head to the side. “I didn’t imagine your eyes to be blue. I thought they’d be brown.” He kept staring. “What’s wrong, don’t you like soup?” He shook his head, clearing out the millions of questions zooming around in his head like a beehive. He picked up the spoon and smiled softly at her.

He took a sip.

And gagged, attempting not to spit it back out. The soup was awful! She had added way too much salt and the chicken was still frozen in the middle. He swallowed (with much effort) and smiled.

“Ah… Um... It’s very unique! Never tasted anything like it!” And I hope I never will again! He added silently. She beamed and nodded.

“I’m glad you liked it! I made it myself! There’s more if you want some!” He blanched.

“N-No, this is fine! Uh… I take it you’re Allyson? She nodded.

“Allyson Woods. How is your wing?”

“A bit painful but I think it’s fine. You don’t seem near as freaked out as you should be.” She nodded slowly, as if thinking hard about something, Before shaking her head and sighing.

“I suppose I should tell you then. I can make it rain. Like, ask the clouds to drop the rain or hold it back. I’ve been able to since I was little. I just have to ask really hard in my head and pitter patter it starts raining. I can’t do it when there aren’t any clouds, but if it’s about to storm…” She trailed off, biting her lip and looking up hopefully. He nodded once and smiled again.

“Due to the circumstance, I’m really not one to talk about weird things, but you do have a cool power!” Her face lit up again.

“I’m glad you think so… Um… what’s your name again?” The boy hesitated a moment, but decided if Allyson could trust him, he could trust her.

“My name is Finian. I want to thank you for helping me, but I’m afraid I should leave. I do not wish for the man in the dark coat to return here looking for me.” Finian stood to bow, but the pain in his wing and a large bruise on his side left him gasping in pain. He collapsed back into the straw.

Allyson rushed around the table to his side, checking the bandages on his wing. Then she smiled at him, and smacked him upside the head with a loud WHAP.

“Ow!” He yelped, clutching his head. “Whatever did you hit me for?”

“I thought I told you to be careful! You could have hurt what little bones you haven’t already bruised!” At this he started pouting, rubbing his head and glaring at her. “Besides, I don’t think trench coat man will be back until it stops raining, and I think I can keep it going for another day at least.” Finian sighed and took the hand Allyson offered to be helped up. She took him back over to his makeshift bed and pulled the blanket back over him.

“I have to get back inside now.  My parents will be coming up the driveway any minute now.  I’m not supposed to be outside while it’s storming. Or at night. Or when my parents aren’t home. So yeah, I’d get in big trouble.” She smiled before patting his head. “Goodnight my new patient! See you tomorrow.”

AS she turned to climb down the ladder, she heard Finian’s voice call out again.

“Thank you Allyson. Goodnight.”

Finian watched her back as she left, and smiled to himself. She was a nice girl. He only hoped she could treat wounds a lot better than she could cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment